[ubuntu-studio-devel] dbus

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 23 19:29:28 UTC 2014

I just tested stopping dbus (via systemd), this kills lightdm as well.
To run without dbus you would need a session manager that does not
require it to be running in order to run itself. On my system lightdm
did restart, but with networking disabled.

On 10/23/2014 at 2:03 PM, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:LOTS of things
use dbus to talk to each other, for instance Compiz and Cairo-dock can
use it to interact with each other.  Before disabling it you would
need to ensure your entire DE is not using dbus, something like IceWM
invoked directly from Startx (running X as an ordinary user) should
work well for this. In fact, this sort of thing is a good reason for
having more than one DE installed.

I do know that restarting dbus in a systemd/lightdm setup also
restarts the whole X session, in fact this was a workaround for some
session restart issues I had when I first switched to MATE.

On 10/23/2014 at 4:36 PM, "Ralf Mardorf"  wrote:On Thu, 2014-10-23 at
18:21 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Has anybody on this list disabled dbus, while using a DE or WM and
> several GUI apps that expect dbus running? Mike's mail makes me
thinking
> again about dbus. I can't interrupt my current office session, but I
> guess I will test it. I suspect that disabling dbus would cause
serious
> issues.

PS: At the moment I'm not running Ubuntu Studio, I'm at an openbox
session on Arch.

$ pidof dbus-daemon
25435 938 898 892 347

I guess I don't really understand dbus. 5 instances are running. Is
this
normal?
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: