[ubuntu-studio-devel] PA in audio production - was: A survey if you don't mind

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Oct 23 04:30:27 UTC 2014

One more use of Pulseaudio: pulling sound off of monetized Youtube
videos as they
play, by recording output from sound on a machine whose onboard sound
had that
capability removed my manufacturers to please Hollywood or mainstream
news
copythugs. Google can block the common downloaders and serve it a
couple frames
at a time, but has no ability to block stream capture on a non-DRM
flash video-or on
ANY video, DRM or otherwise, playing on a Linux box with no "protected
audio path."

That was enough to put Pulseaudio back on my desktops, as the current
version seems to
work fine in Kdenlive with AVCHD files, which was not the case back in
late 2010/early 2011.
The netbook still has it turned off normally but it can be turned on
when needed for something.

On 10/22/2014 at 8:08 PM, "Len Ovens"  wrote:On Wed, 22 Oct 2014, Eric
Hedekar wrote:

> On 22 Oct 2014 14:36, "Len Ovens"  wrote:
>       Stop crying wolf... Nobody expects anyone to use PA for "audio
production",
>       PA might be used for audio contribution if there is no other
way (Ie skype
>       calls), but "audio production"?
>
> I regularly rely on the pulse audio to jack connection for apps like
roomEQwizard that
> tie into pulse only.  It may not exactly be audio production, but
it's certainly audio
> production related.

There are lots of very good uses for PA in the studio. Xrun-less audio
is
not one of them. Running PA->jack->ALSA/FFADO/whatever  seems to be
the
cleanest way to deal with desktop audio in the studio. I know there
are
other ways, but any I have seen are fiddly and frustrating to set up
while
the user finds at some point something just doesn't work. It is very
easy
to set up some sort of drop down button that unloads the PA-jack
connection when it isn't needed. PA is the linux desktop audio
standard
and as such, any desktop audio can be expected to "just work" with it.
It
is so much easier than trying to use the jack interface on a desktop
app
whoes jack interface is badly designed (such as Audacity).

There are some people who feel the audio computer should not be used
for
desktop play at all and so doesn't need PA for that reason. I am ok
with
that, in which case I would expect another computer in the studio that
can
be used for desktop uses such as previewing you tube stuff or
interacting
with skype or whatever. Audio for that machine can be run through the
studio mixer as needed. Even a small studio might find use for some
accounting kinds of things too.

www.ovenwerks.net