[ubuntu-studio-devel] DEs and how they relate to media production use

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat May 31 14:35:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, 28 May 2014, ttoine wrote:

> I do most of my multimedia production with Unity desktop and it is fine... I
> don't want to change anymore to another desktop, and I would be for just
> letting people choose what they want.

You are destined to be disapointed  :)  I am sure Ubuntu will find another
UI to change to not long after the kinks are worked out of this one.
Things are always changing.

All kidding aside though, What changes (if any) have you made to the
default unity install? I know I could do whatever work I do from stock
Unity, but can not help but think adding the applications I use most to
the sidepanel/dock would make things much easier. What method do you use
for starting apps? Do you use more than one workspace? Do you use dual
monitors? Do the applications you use migrate to a favourites group that
is easy to access?

> After all, Ubuntu has Unity per default, why not use Unity for Ubuntu Studio
> ? Less time on DE customisation, and more time on building good tuning
> tools, be sure that application are working well, etc.

If we were setting up unity for studio what changes would you make to the
stock Unity? (aside from eye candy) I get the feeling that adding all the
MM apps to the dock would be way too much. Would adding dropdown menus for
collections of apps be worthwhile? (I think this is possible as things are
just with settings)

In the end, our choice of xfce for a DE has proven popular. It has less
emotional love/hate kinds of baggage and is more open for those who's
freedom relies on not letting info into the wild. It allows useful work to
be done on lower end/older HW than other DEs too. Yet it has all the
features of an up to date DE and is quite stable. lxde as it sits is not
going to be maintained much longer and that maintenance will not be as
good as it might be if development was to continue. However, things are
headed to LXQt which may be a great DE when it is done.

I would like to have some extras that would make unity work better though.
Gnome session is another animal though. My experience with it has been
about the same as TWM... open a terminal and run things from there. I like
a lot of things about GS, but the application access is just not there for
me. It's auto workspace setup is something I would like to see more of for
example.

www.ovenwerks.net