[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec discussion: ubuntustudio-desktop

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat May 31 14:11:19 UTC 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> At this point, to make things really simple, I propose that we create
> install options for other DEs, but without specific *-default-settings
> for those.

Just a thought I had when I reread this. Assuming our settings package is
installed last, or that we have a good post install script (more likely),
could we look to see which DE(s) are installed and add settings which work
with that DE? It would have to be optional... and may be more trouble than
it is worth to maintain.

The method I thought of was to have a subdirectory of /etx/xdg/ for each
DE and have the session.desktop files in /usr/share/ubuntustudio/sessions.
Then to enable any one session would just mean creating a link to the
right file from /usr/share/xsessions/.

It is really too bad the DE packages don't use links by default so that
the default session could be removed.

Anyway, this would allow the user who had some DE installed and added our
metas, to add our look and feel as well just by adding -settings.

The downside of this is that any changes the user had made to their DE
settings that were stored in ~/.config would override the new settings
anyway.

It may be better to offer a package with the artwork and let the user
select it on their own for back drops etc.

www.ovenwerks.net