[ubuntu-studio-devel] DEs and how they relate to media production use

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed May 28 04:23:38 UTC 2014

On Tue, 27 May 2014, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:

> I have found that for  video editing and news audio use nothing seems to beat the basic
> Win95 taskbar concept extended by multiple workspaces. GNOME2, MATE, Cinnamon
> LXDE,  XFCE, and even IceWM all support this concept and thus are essentially used
> the same way once set up.

I would tend to agree. It does work best for me because I am used to it.
However, someone who wants to install Studio on Unity, wants to do that
because they like the way unity looks and feels. If I make unity work like
win95, I have taken their reason for choosing Unity away from them. People
who like the newer DE style... or just want to be "up to date" (for good
or ill) need to have something that works for them in the new workstyle.

For us, the US dev team, That means thinking from a point of view that may
feel just wrong. But a lot of new people are using computers and more
people are trying out Linux too. There are boxes sold with Unity in them
and it may be what someone has learned on and the win95 menu may just be
awkward to them. To be honest, our whole customization of the menu is
because the way it was made audio/video work a nightmare with all the
applications in one big lump it was as bad as the win8 all the apps on the
desktop. So the win95 menu is not perfect either though we have made it a
lot better than it was.

> Differences between Thunar and old style Nautilus are behind a lot of that.

Thunar is closer to old nautilus than what they have now. Software is not
static. I don't know if that is good or bad... sometimes I wish there was
just bug fixes and not UI changes :)

www.ovenwerks.net