[ubuntu-studio-devel] DEs and how they relate to media production use

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Wed May 28 03:58:38 UTC 2014

I have found that for  video editing and news audio use nothing seems to beat the basic
Win95 taskbar concept extended by multiple workspaces. GNOME2, MATE, Cinnamon
LXDE,  XFCE, and even IceWM all support this concept and thus are essentially used
the same way once set up.

Honestly,  nothing has come along that is more functional to me than  US Hardy's
GNOME 2 with Compiz enabled and a 4 workspace grid or cube.  GNOME 3 is pretty
but hard to use for someone used to a traditional desktop, Cinnamon is gorgeous with
the GNOME theme and works like  the old GNOME 2 did but is heavy , XFCE is just
enough different from GNOME2 to interrupt the workflow until you get used to it.
Differences between Thunar and old style Nautilus are behind a lot of that.

Now for the bad news:

GNOME/Red Hat, Unity/Ubuntu, and KDE  will all be handling the X/Wayland/Mir issue on their
own schedules, so this  is about to get messy for everyone else, especially those of us who
favor any DE other than the Big Three, like 2011 but worse.

As an example, if I had been sucessful in developing a metapackage to install Cinnamon
with the US themes without a lot of hand configuration and in some cases rt kernel bugs,
that work would have just been obsoleted by an  upstream response to the Mir/Wayland
transition. Mint is "pinning" Ubuntu at 14.04 and will not use the rolling releases, staying
with 14.04LTS  until 16.04LTS and relying on backports of end user applications.  What do
you want to be they won't be the last to throw in the towel and do this?

As for me, I am keeping  Cinnamon set up to look and work like GNOME 2/Compiz in
UbuntuStudio Hardy did and will pin whatever I have to between LTS releases to keep it.
I do in fact now have debs for my themes and icons, but am not sure they are up to
standards for redistribution thus have not set up a PPA.  I have the legacy theme packages
ported to GTK3 with some customizations I've used since 2008, plus systemd, a working dracut
with systemd in it,  multi encrypted disk unlocker both for initramfs-tools and for dracut,
and even a Plymouth theme using the KDE3 "soft-green" background image as on my desktop.
The systemd, plymouth, and dracut stuff use some binaries  harvested out of  Debian Unstable
packlages rather than locally built.

All of this grew out of what started as UbuntuStudio Hardy back in 2008.