[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Introduce New Netinstall ISO

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon May 19 15:32:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> I would like us to introduce a new netinstall type of ISO, small enough
> to fit on a CD, and useful when you don't want to install the whole
> suite of packages that come with Ubuntu Studio.

A "netinstall" ISO is in the form of the old style ALT iso. Is this what
you mean? This is an install only media except for shell access. The old
alt installs were the netiso with a package repo on disk and an install
script to install them. Not much good for testing.

> I'm thinking a stripped down version of our current ISO. Keep the core
> stuff, like jack, so the installer can be used for simple testing too,
> but otherwise nothing.
> We will need a super light DE setup for this. I do prefer to have a DE,
> with a web browser and easy graphical means of setting up wifi, and
> such. Also, with the ubiquity installer. As little maintenance as
> possible should be the goal of course.

Ah, So this is really a very lite live iso. It needs a WM and a menu to
work. But could still do the install an alt style so that the the packages
on the ISO itself would not be what got installed. I do not know how well
ubiquity would deal with this. But ubuntustudio-installer with the
expansions you have envisioned might do well... except that would require
(ubiquity too) a number of gui libs to be installed. I would almost
suggest against any of the DEs that we support so that the user would be
aware from the start that this look and feel of this ISO are not
representative of any of the installed flavours.

It would be good to define the exact use cases for this ISO.

www.ovenwerks.net