[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Multimedia Package Selection

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun May 18 10:04:32 UTC 2014

Currently, the philosophy for accepting multimedia packages to be
included in our default installation is that we don't already have a
better package for the workflow it covers.
There may be some cases where there are two applications that can do the
same exact things, but where one is for newbies and the other for pros,
which is motive enough to include both. There may even be cases where
both do the same exact thing - which would be against our original
philosophy.

We've tried to define workflows, but haven't really got very far with
this. There are some resources at our wiki on that.
Simply put, a workflow is things like:

audio editing (Audacity)
multitrack recording (Ardour)
mixing (Ardour)
image manipulation (GIMP)
vector graphics (Inkscape)
etc..

This is an area where we definitely could use having more people
involved. The few of us tend not to have time to do this task properly.

We don't have any specific package selection process. Since there are so
few developers involved, we tend to just talk it through between the few
of us on our irc channel. So, this is something that could be worked at.
How should we go about choosing packages for our default install?