[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec discussion: Realtime Privilege and access to ffado devices

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Sun May 18 09:41:18 UTC 2014

We should do something about how realtime privilege is administered.

Currently, the upstream Debian package jackd installs a file, giving
members of audio group access to tuned "rtprio" and "memlock", at
/etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf. Also, access to ffado drivers is done
from /lib/udev/rules.d/60-ffado.rules, also giving audio group the right
to use a set of ffado supported devices. This all works fine in Debian,
since the user is in audio group by default. Not on Ubuntu though, since
the group is used for other things.

I would prefer that installing jackd would give the user realtime
privilege the same way on any Debian derived system, and since audio
group is out of the question, we should look at other alternatives.

A couple of ideas:
 * introduce two new groups and make sure both Debian and Ubuntu
 introduces them. Name them "jack" and "ffado".
 * Make jack use rt-kit. (We still need a way for jack to get access to
 ffado devices though)