[ubuntu-studio-devel] LTS proposal 14.04

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Mar 4 10:37:01 UTC 2014

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014, at 10:08 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 22:35 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:
> > i would like to officially object and vote 3 years to match xubuntu.
>
> This makes sense, since if user needs to troubleshoot an Xfce4 issue,
> the user likely would send a request to xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com .
> The Xubuntu mailing list unlikely can provide good help for a Xubuntu
> version that is obsolet.

This is not the kind of support we are talking about here. Only bug
fixing, which is not happening much even from the Xubuntu team three
years in a LTS release - if at all.

And to holstein, please make an argument for why you object. Otherwise
we have no idea what the reasons to your objections are.

This is how I reason:

* One person could handle bug fixing, in the remote possibility a
serious bug would appear three years in a LTS release, which I am
willing to do.
* Five years is better than three, though not a big plus, and probably
not something the majority of our users need.
* XFCE releases are supported for a very short time by upstream (I was
recently told), so this makes things a bit more difficult, but not
impossible at all to fix a bug after three years support.

In the light of a few more details I've learned, and the fact that five
years support is not a big need for Ubuntu Studio, I'm changing my mind
and am willing to go with the three years support period.

So, unless someone has very compelling reasons not do so, I'll propose
three years support for the 14.04 LTS release.

Pragmatically speaking, we would have no problem doing five years
support, but again, it's not a big win.