[ubuntu-studio-devel] Feature Spec Discussion: Workflow Categorization

Ross Gammon rossgammon68 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:34:07 UTC 2014

Okay - no takers so far. So here goes for an attempt at defining
categories for Sound/Audio applications (the easiest one to start on):

Debtags

	Freedesktop

	Description
	Notes
Facet
	Tag
	Main Category
	Additional Category

sound
	recorder
	Audio
	Recorder
	Application to record audio (single or multi-track).
	Do we need to differentiate between single & multi-track?
sound 	mixer
	Audio 	Mixer
	Setting levels and using signal processing on individual tracks.
	Should we have a separate tag for signal processing?
sound 	midi
	Audio 	Midi
	This is a big category that includes anything that has midi
functionality (or an app relating to midi).

sound 	instrument
	Audio 	Instrument
	A virtual or software instrument (synthesiser).
An application or plugin that outputs audio when receiving data control
messages (midi).
	Neither Debtags nor Freedesktop have this category.
Should we have a separate tag for plugins?
sound 	compression
	Utility?; Archiving?
	Compression

	This debtag is not explained. I suppose it could be intended for file
compression (e.g. wav > mp3). The Freedesktop category is for
compressing data (but not normally in the Audio category). Do we need
this category?
sound 	player
	Audio 	Player
	Application to play audio files.

sound 	sequencer
	Audio 	Sequencer
	Application that can record, edit, or play back audio using note and
performance information (typically midi but also audio in the case of a
DAW).
	Do we need to differentiate between DAWs & midi sequencers?
sound 	speech

	Speech Synthesis
	Freedesktop do not have this category. Do we need it?

	Audio 	AudioVideoEditing
	Application to edit audio/video files.
	No debtag exists for this. Does "sequencer" cover it?
hardware
	storage:cd-writer
	AudioVideo 	DiscBurning
	Application to burn a disc.
	Debtag not in "sound" facet (video also?). Request a new facet, or use
the "hardware" one?

	Other missing categories?:
- effects/signal processing
- mastering?
- plugins
- plugin hosts?
- radio (e.g. recording/streaming podcasts, running radio station)
- notation/scores (in publishing category?)
- Coding/Programming (e.g. Pure Data/Supercollider/CSound)
- Looping (is this under sequencing?)
- Sampling (under recording?)
- DJ
- Soundfont (or is this under instrument?)
- Patching (or is this too specific)

Which of the "other missing categories" are important? Anything else
missing? Suggestions on terminology? Please note that Debtags are to
help search for packages that match a search-term and therefore the more
descriptive tags we have the better. On the other hand, the freedesktop
categories define where the application appears in the menu. Therefore
the categories are restricted/reserved (although we can add new ones
prefixed with an "X-" indicating an extension).

I know it is hard to comment on a table, so I will start by expanding
the following page on the wiki (to also include debtags) and plonking
the table there. This should allow easier contributions.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/FreedesktopCategories

But any comments before I do that will be gratefully received.

Regards,

Ross