[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntustudio controls

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jun 15 03:01:28 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-06-14 at 13:43 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> The user will have to learn what the lowest latency is that they
> can use for a certain task without xruns. We can't do that. I would
> like to have an "About Latency" button for this reason.

That's a good idea. Btw. it might be important not only to educate
people how to use -p and -n options and that the lowest latency depends
to the load, but also to mention that it's possible to change the
latency during production, likely not on the fly, but it anyway is
possible and could be helpful, but that this could cause issues when
using some apps. At least last time I used Qtractor, the anyway not good
latency compensation for audio tracks did only fit to the latency, that
was used for recording and got out of sync, when I changed the latency
during production. Theoretical it would be nice to do some recordings
with low latencies, while many tracks are muted during such a recording,
to produce less load and then when e.g. mixing with a high load, to
increase the latency.