[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntustudio controls

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jun 14 15:58:36 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-06-14 at 08:33 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> There could be an Unstick Jack button that kills jack and restarts.

When ever it's possible that an app could be launched by more than one
instance, but only one instance is wanted, it's the easiest way to
killall this app, before starting the app, I e.g. do this for my JWM
menu:

$ cat .jwmrc
[snip]
<Program label="Screen Blanking on">
         killall xfce4-power-manager ; xfce4-power-manager
</Program>
[snip]

If there should be a reason not to kill such an already running
instance, check it the ps true|false way. However, AFAIK and a short
test confirmed it, only one instance of jackd can be started, if you try
to start another instance, you should get "Failed to open server".

Why should there be an instance of jackd running, that needs to be
killed, to launch another instance if jackd? This sounds like bad
software design. Latency settings could be changed by Ardour2 on the
fly, QjackCtl is unable to do this.

What exactly do you try to provide? For me it sounds completely
implausible what I guess to understand that you want to provide.