[ubuntu-studio-devel] ubuntustudio controls

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jun 14 14:19:45 UTC 2014

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> Make sure to look through what has already been planned, primareily at
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/UbuntuStudioControls. Either Len or
> me can update that page with new content.

Thankyou for the link. I will add stuff there.

> Also, be aware that I have already done a lot of preparation, in code,
> for this project, so don't start fresh.

Ok, great. Is the new code in the branch?

> Also, first task for ubuntustudio-controls (so we can make a SRU for
> trusty) - make ubuntustudio-controls do one thing, and one thing only:
> administer user realtime rights.
> After that, we can do the rest.

Can I assume this is setting the file in /etc/security/limits.d/ to not
disabled and adding the user to audio? Do we first check that jack is
installed? :) I am saying this badly. There are two scenarios to look at.
  1) system installed from UbuntuStudio ISO
 	-all that needs to be done is make sure the user is in audio group
  2) starting with another flavour (where we have more problems)
 	-need to check lowlatency kernel is installed and running
 		might be a good place to make sure we set the
 		lowlatency kernel as default.
 	-need to check jack is installed
 	-need to check /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf is named right
 	-need to check that the user doing audio work is in audio
 		(this may not be user 1000 who installed the system)

I am not sure, but it may be worth while bouncing through all users with a
home directory in /home/ and a user id of 1000 or up and add them all to
group audio.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

www.ovenwerks.net