[ubuntu-studio-devel] LTS proposal 14.04

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Feb 25 04:26:37 UTC 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> If no one objects, I will create a simple page declaring that we would
> like to support Ubuntu Studio for the full period that Ubuntu supports
> it's LTS (5 years), and following their schedule of point releases.
OK

> Possible reasons against:
> Xubuntu will only support their LTS for 3 years. Since we base our
> default DE on theirs, it means we need to take over support for
> everything XFCE related after those three years.

  So long as it works out of the gate, even if we do nothing to xfce in the
final 2 years it should continue to work. Someone who needs newer features
will be welcome to install the new LTS when it shows up if they need/want
kernel drivers, new versions, newly added software, etc. That is someone
who buys new hardware would be recomended to use the newer LTS for a new
install. We would not try to keep 14.04 current with 2017 hardware newness
anyway.

  It is easy for me to say OK as I can't do any of that support. I am
guessing that the package archive for 14.04 will remain with the same set
of packages for the whole 5 years regardless of what xubuntu does... just
to support ubuntu desktop/server.

www.ovenwerks.net