[ubuntu-studio-devel] What should be included by default in Trusty?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Feb 13 20:24:58 UTC 2014

A straight PCM file for audio can be 50MB for a few minutes, many websites
refuse them because of their size and on a mobile connection people can't
spare the bandwidth. There are also uncompressed video files, in 1080p they
are so big they cannot be played back from a single hard drive in some cases,
I've seen over 11GB for a <10 minute video.

Back in 2004, I found that .wav files were refused by the web hosts I used, and
when I tried .ogg audio, I got nothing but complaints by people who could not
open them. That was the end of my experiments with free codecs.

In my community, there are lots of default XP machines, not a single Ubuntu
machine without codec support added. That tells me what I need to target with
output files.