[ubuntu-studio-devel] What should be included by default in Trusty?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu Feb 13 19:47:59 UTC 2014

Writers of applications should be discouraged from using patented anything that they
could reasonably have avoided, and doubly discouraged from using non-free
licenses. I agree with distros refusing to distribute software that voluntariliy uses
patented algorithms or non-free licenses. After all, the "interoperability" defense seen
with codecs does not apply in such cases.

If authors of code get the idea that a restrictive license bars them from every distro's
repos and limits them to PPA's, that is a powerful inducement to remove patented
routines and release under a free license.

Codec patents, however, we have no choice but to fight, as free codecs too often can't
be played by pay operating systems whose users may be the target audience of videos
and audio files. Also the owners of codec all remember how the patent FUD over .gif
killed the format and nobody wants to be next in line for that.