[ubuntu-studio-devel] What should be included by default in Trusty?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Wed Feb 12 21:09:22 UTC 2014

I have used Cinelerra, it has two problems: One is a clunky, harder to learn GUI.
That's not too bad as many pro video editors have similar issues. The other is this:
it has not kept up with changing formats produced by common cameras. I still have
the version I got during Precise (2012)  so I don't know if this has changed but as of then
Cinelerra could not read files containing H264 streams, either from  AVCHD cameras
or from another video editor.  Kdenlive can both read and write H264 if you use the
fully-enabled ffmpeg/libav versions, or be distributed with that stripped for later
user installation if codecs are deemed an issue.

Both Kdenlive and it's underlying MLT base are essentially codec-independant, so
adding support for any arbitrary codec is simply a matter of getting it into ffmpeg/
libav.

At any rate, Cinelerra is not yet in Ubuntu's repos, only available from a ppa.