[ubuntu-studio-devel] How would it be if we had fewer releases? Say, only one per year?

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Wed Aug 27 05:15:47 UTC 2014

Ok, so I think there's an agreement on that we should focus more on the
LTS releases.

Just to clarify - we can't change the development period for an Ubuntu
Studio release, since we share it with all the other Ubuntu flavors. All
Ubuntu Studio packages are available on all other flavors, and thus we
need to update them every 6 months.
But, we could theoretically decide to not publish our own ISO.

But, it would seem we don't really save any work by not publishing the
ISO.
So, let's work on the backporting bit, and change our download page for
the Utopic release, making Utopic seem like the experimental choice.

linux-lowlatency 3.16 will be backported to Trusty once Utopic is
released, and the kernel will include a lot of alsa drivers for firewire
devices, making firewire devices work with both pulseaudio and jack (
https://ieee1394.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Release_Notes#Linux_3.16 )
So, that will be one important enhancement.
We should also look at backporting any important updates to our
multimedia packages. Especially the big ones.