[ubuntu-studio-devel] [LAU] jack firewire + built in audio (fwd)

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Sep 26 13:00:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, September 25, 2013 2:54 pm, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 09/25/2013 07:04 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Miguel Negrao
>> <mnegrao.lists at gmail.com>wrote:
>>

>>> I was just wondering if there is a simpler solution to this, or if
>>> there
>>> is some plan to make it easier to switch soundcard with jack in the
>>> future ?
>>>

>> such plans do exist. nothing has been done about them thus far.
>>

> http://www.gareus.org/blog/jack2dbus
>
> But I'm not sure if this also allows you to switch driver backends.

Jack_control allows changing just about everything by script (for
jackdbus). I am not sure how much can be changed "on the fly" though, I
have never tried changing the back end while running. latency can be
though. But changing the back end may take more than one command... at
least the way I tried. Scripting would certainly be possible.... but
stopping jackd and restarting with a new command line may be quicker.
Jack.plumbing may be more helpful with the different names though.

I think you will find Paul's answer is the most correct. anything you do
with changing backends probably means loosing jack long enough for all of
the jack applications to choke and require restarting. Play with jackdbus
and jack_control and see if you can change the backend without having to
do a "stop". If you can manage that install jack-tools and get to know
jack.plumbing to auto switch everything  connected alsa style ports to fw
style.

I don't have a FW anything.

www.OvenWerks.net