[ubuntu-studio-devel] Default search engine

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Sep 14 19:40:46 UTC 2013

On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 20:12 +0100, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> That's a great idea! In today's world, for any distro to set Google as a default
> search engine places their users in danger. This is because of accidental searches
> when such functionality is not explicitly disabled, and Google's NSA connections.

Something scary
I experience the same with Opera on Arch Linux, but I at least use it as
start page for Firefox, Midori, Opera and Google Chrom. Google chrome
just in case I need to watch something that requires flash.

FWIW, if a site can't be shown for my country, I'm using the Firefox
anonymoX add-on,
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anonymox/ .

I don't trust the add-on regarding to security, if I should need
security, I'm using Vidalia (Firefox using TOR),
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vidalia_(software) .

The NSA IMO isn't such a serious issue for averaged people, but
marketing and other things are serous issues.

"By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising...kill
yourself. Thank you. Just planting seeds, planting seeds is all I'm
doing. No joke here, really. Seriously, kill yourself, you have no
rationalisation for what you do, you are Satan's little helpers. Kill
yourself, kill yourself, kill yourself now. Now, back to the show.
Seriously, I know the marketing people: 'There's gonna be a joke comin'
up.' There's no fuckin' joke. Suck a tail pipe, hang yourself...borrow a
pistol from an NRA buddy, do something...rid the world of your evil
fuckin' presence." - Bill Hicks