[ubuntu-studio-devel] StartUbuntu - Was: [xubuntu-users] Choosing the right/best version (release) of Xubuntu

Jimmy Sjölund jimmy at sjolund.se
Thu Nov 21 09:45:46 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> there's a project that might be interesting for some of you.
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu
>
> It's new for me and was introduced to me by the Xubuntu users mailing
> list.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf
>
> PS: Perhaps somebody knows what FLOSS software is most close to MS
> Paint ...
>
> On Thu, 2013-11-21 at 03:12 +0400, Ali Linx (amjjawad) wrote:
> > Yes, I am aware that Ubuntu Studio is too using XFCE but if I will
> > install the meta package, 'MS Paint' will be intalled? or just one of
> > its alternatives?
>
> It will install a bundle of FLOSS software to make all kinds of arts and
> add a customized menu to provide a better workflow. I don't know current
> Ubunut Studio [1], 'MS Paint' for sure will not be installed, but
> usually the most common software Linux artists use.

MyPaint is installed by default and perhaps the closest thing to MSPaint.
Krita and Inkscape might be a bit more "advanced" but still not impossible
to learn.

> > One of the best Artwork people in Ubuntu Communities :)
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/Artwork#Artwork_Contributors
> >

> > Rafael is the Artwork Team Leader of Lubuntu :)
> >
> > All the Artwork for StartUbuntu Project had been designed by him!
>
> Thank you Ali :)

I'm not sure about the use of the Ubuntu Studio logo in the wallpaper at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=wall_ubuntustudio.png
.
I hope madeinkobaia, US Art Lead, takes a look.

> I don't join the StartUbuntu team, if I should contribute something,
> then to Ubuntu Studio, but I'll forward it to the Ubuntu Studio mailing
> lists. Perhaps the StartUbuntu project is less known.

I've been following the development of StartUbuntu but just as you wrote, I
will focus my time on Ubuntu Studio and pitch in if and when I can for
StartUbuntu user support and such.

/Jimmy