[ubuntu-studio-devel] Anoying/confusing things in our DE

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Nov 16 18:55:38 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:

> Panel location goes to personal taste. A  lot of people have slagged Unity
> over the fact that the launcher bar cannot be moved to top or bottom. I
> like my panel on the bottom, someone who started out on Macs will probably
> prefer it on the top. No one location can please everyone.

The main panel will probably remain where it is. Location doesn't matter
to much so long as it is obvious and can be changed. What I was talking
about though is the second panel at the bottom. As it comes, I only ever
use the terminal, browser and sometimes The filemanager selector.... I
never use USC or the app finder or... whatever. The settings need to be
changed at least some (100% just causes problems), but before I do, I
would like to know if we really want this second panel at all. It's
primary purpose as it sits seems to be just to show the new user that it
is possible to have a second panel. My opinion is that it does not add
productivity (in some cases takes productivity away) and is poorly
placed. If we are going to keep it, then I think we should try to make it
an asset and not a liability.

> Shutting off desktop icons by default would be enough of a problem for
> enough users to drive them to another distro. I still remember not switching
> to the GTK 3 version of Nautilus until I desktop icons worked with it, and
> that was a common beef against the original release of GNOME 3.0

Ya, I pretty much figured that :)

www.ovenwerks.net