Making Studio work with more than one DE

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Thu May 23 18:35:37 UTC 2013

Surely there are more people who want to make US work with any
particular desktop than there are desktops!  I did the Cinnamon work myself
for the legacy desktop, simply so I could use it Have all the necessary files to
make it work. Only hassle is that the Cinnamon menus for some reason ignore the
UbuntuStudio A/V submenus, instead putting all the A/V apps into "sound and video"
no matter what you do in the menu editor. The submenus show up in the menu editor,
so my guess it its just a Cinnamon bug that will eventually be taken care of.

Anyone else wants to use Cinnamon in UbuntuStudio, I have what you need
at least for the legacy themes, can send out tar.gz files.

I recommend it only for relatively powerful machines with modern graphics cards
and  multicore processors. All this stuff works with MATE, too, been there, tested that.
It will run on slower machines, but Cinnamon get sluggish, especially in the menu, on
Pentium 4 or Intel Atom. This is inherited from the upstream gnome-shell it seems.