Making Studio work with more than one DE

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Thu May 23 16:13:16 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Jimmy Sjölund wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:32 PM, Kaj Ailomaa <zequence at mousike.me> wrote
> >

> > It's just a fact. Ubuntu Studio is not a only a pro audio orientated
> > distribution. We currently have "audio", "video", "graphics",
> > "publishing" and "photography" as our range of workflows. You may check
> > out this to read more about that http://ubuntustudio.org/tour/
> >
> > The job for Ubuntu Studio has never been to be a customized distribution
> > for pro audio. Rather, the idea of Ubuntu Studio from the start has been
> > to be an example - a showcase, of what regular Ubuntu can do, with a
> > nice selection of multimedia applications, configurations - and since
> > linux-generic doesn't cut it, we have linux-lowlatency in its place.
> >
> > If what you want is a hardcore pro audio orientated distribution, for
> > example something based on Ubuntu, where some applications have been
> > patched - in other words, recoded, then KXStudio is a much better
> > choice. KXStudio is a custom distro in this way. Ubuntu Studio is not,
> > and doesn't try to be.
> >

> That I fully understand, I never wrote or expected US to be "audio only".
> believe the strength is that is is all those things. What I wondered was
> why it wouldn't be "pro". I also added that the audio parts was the only
> thing I have some knowledge about which is why I only commented about
> those
> parts.
> And thanks for the somewhat condescending link to the tour of Ubuntu
> Studio. I have been using US since 8.04 and yeah perhaps I don't watch
> the
> whole tour every time I upgrade.

I wasn't intending to be condescending. From how you worded it, it
seemed to me you viewed Ubuntu Studio as a pro audio distribution, which
of course is one of the aspects of what it is.

> I'm a bit confused by the showcase remark. To follow that thread once you
> have seen what you can do with regular Ubuntu, you should then move to
> regular Ubuntu and the US work is done? I have been looking at Ubuntu
> Studio as its own distribution, not a commercial for regular Ubuntu.

The work that we do is to make the distro suitable for multimedia
content creation, and push changes upstream. Meaning, we make the change
not only in Ubuntu Studio, but in this order - 1. The upstream
application, 2. Debian, 3. Ubuntu 4. Ubuntu Studio.
The more upstream the change is, the more people will benefit from it.

Let's also draw a line between two words: Canonical, and Ubuntu. They
are not the same thing. Ubuntu Studio is Ubuntu, just like all flavors
are Ubuntu, including "Ubuntu" itself.
Ubuntu Studio is not working at promoting Canonical. What Ubuntu Studio
does is promotes free software based on Debian, where the system base is
maintained by Canonical (the "main" repository).
All of the Ubuntu Studio specific source is in the "universe"
repository, which is community maintained. That means us, you and me.

> > The
> > DE doesn't have that much of an impact on performance most of the time.
> > This may have more to do with graphic drivers and desktop FX.
> >
> > I notice a big difference in performance on my laptop at least, depending
> on what DE I use.
>

> > > Not being able to code I don't know how to contribute even though I
> > > really
> > > would like to? Other than participating in the mailing list that is.
> > >

> > You don't need to know how to code in order to help. Coding is not the
> > main thing we do. Just read http://ubuntustudio.org/contribute/
>

> Which I did, that's how I found this mailing list. But from what I seen
> so
> far it's not really inviting to try do more, so perhaps after 5 years of
> US
> I will look into KXstudio on another platform instead.

Why is that? Because we discuss things openly, and encourage users to
participate in a very non elitist way - suggesting that you don't
actually need to know anything to help out, and that you have the
freedom to work independently, as long as you aren't breaking anything
for anyone else?

Or is it just that you find my answer to your post discouraging?

You may find me speaking not very diplomatically at times, but that has
no effect on the development of Ubuntu Studio as long as you realize
it's just a tone of voice, nothing else.

I may not be the most diplomatic voice in the community, but I do try to
stick to fairness and truth.

I'm also working very hard to get more people involved. As a project
leader of Ubuntu Studio, my goal is not to develop the OS for my own
needs - I use Debian with Gnome3 and a custom kernel myself. My goal is
to make it work for everyone.
Not everyone works from this aspect. Most are more interested in working
at things that benefit themselves more directly. This is quite ok.
There's room for every kind of personality, and choice of interest - as
long as it doesn't break things for other people.

One thing that you might notice though, reading these posts is that
though many people have opinions on how to develop Ubuntu Studio, few of
the people actually are doing it. And this is a very important point.

If you want something done, you can actually do it yourself. And that's
how you participate.

If you want information on how to do things, the Ubuntu Studio is widely
open with all the information that you'll ever need to do whatever you
want, including starting your own flavor, if you decide to do so. So,
please, try not to be too judgmental.