Making Studio work with more than one DE

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed May 22 22:52:52 UTC 2013

Am 23.05.2013 00:20, schrieb Len Ovens:

>>> for

>>> Real
>>>
>>> :)  I think the intent of the remark is that ubuntustudio is not "only"
>>> pro audio distro. Certainly I think it can be used that way, but it's
>>> aim
>>> is also to be a pro graphic studio and a pro photographers studio and a
>>> pro video creation tool. Hopefully the user will soon be able to choose
>>> just to install one of these workflows rather than all of them.
>>
>> I always remove pulseaudio and build a kernel-rt. The differences to the
>> full preempt kernel with threadirqs isn't important, but removing
>> pulseaudio is important.
>>
>> For what kind of professional audio, graphic, photographers and video
>> creation tool is pulseaudio useful ;)?
>
> Broadcast. It is good for remote content transport as suggested by the
> EBU. They do not talk about pulseaudio specifically, but the methods they
> do suggest can at this time only be done that way.
>
> Pulseaudio is also good for use with client show and tell... the client
> comes in and says, "I saw this thing on U tube..." I understand you have
> had trouble with PA... Not that long ago it did have many problems. But at
> this time, I would say that a PA->jack bridge is easier to set up and use
> than ALSA loop backs. Also many of the MP3 players or CD playing SW do not
> play well with Jack. (I don't know any)

That is my experience too. Once jack is started and the
pulse-jack-bridge runs, all audio-trouble is gone. Any sane
audio-application supports either Jack or PA automatically. And I cannot
see, that the PA-bridge increases the rate of xruns(as of now I have
zero of them while experimenting with Guitarix and Qtractor and watching
YT-videos as well (*videos *with* audio that is...).

It should be easier to disable PA to a near-removed status though....

> If any of these people are using their computer for a telephone... all the
> phone apps work with Pulse, none (at this time) work with jack.
>

>> From video creation I would remove the word "professional" ;p.
>
> That was why I used the word "Aim" Our aim is to have Studio be
> professional quality in all these areas. What we need most are people who
> are involved professionally in video to join our community and make their
> own system based on studio work for profession audio so we can import the
> changes. I know the tech aspects of video (at least analogue :), but I am
> not a video person, my interest is not visual.... everything looks good to
> me unless it is really bad.

Not sure, if that works soo good for every good thing can be improved
and should be ;-) but regarding video: anyone, who edits a video that
shall be used at least semi-commercial, does professional video work.

If we talk about Cinema-Movies or professional TV-Shows, we do not talk
about normal PC anymore. Even the cheaper TV-shows are still produced on
dedicated workstations, let alone Films. Anything beyond that such as
video for the web can be done and is done in Linux for years now. Have a
look at the Blender-Movies, if you really believe, only vacation-reels
can be made in Linux.

Ahh yeah: and these workstations usually run Linux too...