Making Studio work with more than one DE

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Wed May 22 20:07:31 UTC 2013

Concerning multiple DE's: What about Cinnamon? Of all DE's I've tried,
it is the one that can be configured to look and feel the most like the
Ubuntustudio  desktop I knew and loved in 2008. When using the
"GNOME" theme in Cinnamon with the UbuntuStudio-legacy icons
and GTK 3/2 theme I privately maintain, it is absolutely spectacular.

Cinnamon is a bit heavy, as it is based on gnome-shell, but seems to
be a bit lighter than gnome-shell. MATE is much lighter, enough so to allow
a 2GHZ Pentium 4 to just play 720p video, but as it is based on Gnome 2
there are questions about its long-term mantainability. Cinnamon is based
on current code and available from a PPA in Ubuntu. I would not be at all
surprised to see it offered in Universe at some point.

Cinnamon's sound applet normally works with Pulseaudio, doesn't work if
Pulse is not running. Volti, however, appears in Cinnamon's tray and works
fine.

This is a legacy, not a current version of the Ubuntustudio theme, icons, etc
that I use, but be aware that they all exist and all work together for me, I've just
never played with packaging things as debian packages yet.