Making Studio work with more than one DE

Eric Hedekar afterthebeep at gmail.com
Wed May 22 18:09:38 UTC 2013

This really was one of the most dramatic train/thread derailments I've seen
in a while.  Impressive.

As far as other desktop environments are concerned, part of me is in favour
of this mindset being adopted (as I've never left gnome despite Ubuntu
Studio's switch to xfce - I just don't like that DE).  If a modular front
end was adopted then it would encourage wider usage and a better overall
design.  However, what Hartmut may have been trying to state was that this
is development is probably not the best use of developer's time.  There
have almost always been stability issues, bugs, and lack of documentation
in Ubuntu Studio that the user sees as more drastic to their workflow than
annoying quirks from the given DE.  So yeah, apply force to the major
problems, but it would be a prudent philosophy to reduce the amount of
xfce-specific code that ships with the distro.  We don't know how long into
the future the xfce platform will best suit our needs (very little warning
was given during the gnome/unity move that prompted our switch to xfce in
the first place), and the lack of DE-specific code the easier it will be
for those of us who love a different DE to just switch.

-Eric Hedekar

*
Eric Hedekar
*http://www.erichedekar.com