Making Studio work with more than one DE

Hartmut Noack zettberlin at linuxuse.de
Wed May 22 17:22:30 UTC 2013

Am 22.05.2013 18:38, schrieb Kaj Ailomaa:
> On Wed, May 22, 2013, at 05:23 PM, Hartmut Noack wrote:

First of all, thank you for your elaborate and constructive answer. Ths
is much more than I get before when discussing this bug(expect from
FalkTX, who did his best to help me out)

> I haven't seen this bug before, but it does seem like the card is
> already being used by something - maybe even another jack?

indeed there was jackdbus running when I encountered this  but killing
it did not help.

> If you want
> to help solve it, make a bug report, and try to find out the cause of
> the problem as well as you can. It's the best chance of someone learning
> how to fix it.

This is excellent advise and I am *NOT* ironic: find out what happens
and fix it is the way, I try to go with this bug for about a year now.
In several fora and lists.

> And, let me rant for a little bit..
>
> First of all, Ubuntu Studio is not a pro audio distribution.

Please: if it is not, then it is nothing but some "skin" for Ubuntu. It
is perfectly acceptable, that it is not tweaked to the limits (RT-kernel
etc) but I am sure, you will agree, that if Ardour does not work
normally on it, what remains to make it any special?

>  It's for
> all multimedia content creation. So simply removing pulseaudio is of
> course out of the question

This I agree, the charme of US is the compromise between real-world
Desktop and Pro, good way to go and perfectly possible methinks.

>- but I'm considering making it configurable
> so that one can choose not use it, or even not to install it in the
> first place. More to come on this in the future.
> In any way, the installer will have more options than today.
>
> There is no strict central planning involved in developing Ubuntu
> Studio. Only in areas where it is found necessary. Which means, if you
> want to do something for Ubuntu Studio, and it doesn't break anything
> for anyone else, you are free to do it.
>
> Not everyone is adept at fixing issues in pulseaudio and jack code, so
> one cannot expect the team to only work for that. I hope I'm making a
> point clear about this.

This I am aware, the percentage of coders who actually can fix bugs in
these delicate beasts is not that high. Thats why I mentioned the
PITA-thing: the more people speak about these problems, the more
motivation to fix them for those who can.
No complaints - no problem - no fix. That simple.

best regards

HZN