No Rolling Release Was: Re: Technical board decision

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Mar 19 11:19:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 09:59:24 +0100, Ho Wan Chan <smartboyhw at gmail.com>
wrote:

> So the Ubuntu Technical Board met yesterday to vote on the revised plan
> of
> release changes proposed by Mark Shuttleworth.
>
> Pretty much the exact plan was approved, except the normal release
> support
> was changed from 7 to 9 months. Other things voted include strengthening
> the LTS point releases and also continue to support Ubuntu 12.10 for 18
> months.
>
> Basically Ubuntu Studio should stick to this plan. After all, the normal
> releases are not supposed to be used by stable users.
>
> However, one of the things we need to focus on is the upgrade from LTS
> releases to the current release, and also development releases.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Regards,
> Howard Chan (smartboyhw)

Just to clarify to people, this has yet not been announced. There was a
IRC meeting about this yesterday, so I'm sure there will be an
announcement following shortly.
The plan was really more of a proposal written by March Shuttleworth
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2013-March/001527.html

And the results of the technical board meeting was that the non LTS
releases, or interim releases as some call them, are going to be
continued, but their life cycle will be dropped from 18 months to 9
months, starting from 13.04.
This means users will have 3 months to upgrade to the next release before
their current interim release reaches EOL.

There will also be an option to stay on the development release
continuously, without the need to upgrade.
Using symlinks for archive addresses was suggested. The development
release itself will not change - as far as has been decided so far. Not
really a change towards a rolling release, but perhaps more people will
start regarding it as such.

All in all, quite conservative changes, and will not cause much change for
us. Pretty much business as usual, in other words.

I do however think we should work harder on polishing the LTS release,
which is something we are working on improving right now. So, it's on
rail, basically.