Choosing Art for Ubuntu Studio

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Wed Mar 13 19:34:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 20:20:30 +0100, <lukefromdc at hushmail.com> wrote:

> I still think the theme used back in 2008 was gorgeous, and it mostly
> worked with
> XFCE at that time.  Still using a rough port of it (to handle GTK3
> applications)
> myself. As far as am  concerned, whoever did the orignal UbuntuStudio
> artwork
> in 2007-2008 did an incredible job.
>
> Anyway, if a really good theme is made and decided upon exactly once,
> and is well-liked by
> the community, I see no requirement to make any visual changes over
> time. Only porting
> to changes in GTK/graphical environment changes, and adding any new
> icons should
> ever be needed.

I don't agree on that looks should never change. On the contrary, I think
it's quite important to reinvent the whole package continuously. As times
change, UIs change, applications changes, system libraries change.
Look also communicates something. Keeping the same look communicates that
nothing is happening. New releases come out, but they all look exactly the
same - no, that doesn't work.

However nice the old theme is, I don't feel it's a good move to start
using it again - in it's original form anyway. If someone updated it and
made it look nice on XFCE, then maybe.

But, IMO, a change in XFCE theme is not going to happen until we have at
least one artist working on it.