Ubuntu changes get worse: Now Digital Rights Management is under discussion

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Mar 9 20:22:09 UTC 2013

On Sat, March 9, 2013 12:00 pm, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:

> could all base on that. Certainly, installing to server, then calling only
> your top-level packages
> from apt-get would give a stripped-down, clean install with no crap. Best
> of all, server disk images
> fit on CD and are small. Perhaps a deriviative distro would then be a
> second disk that runs after
> a server install, with scripts to ask the user any questions and then
> install the correct DE, themes,
> workflows, etc, and nothing else?  This approach would let the whole storm
> of changes ride under
> our keels.

mini.iso (AKA netboot) might be a better place to start. It already
includes tasksel. I have used this to build a no GUI audio system.

It may be possible to start with this as a base for our own set of seeds
too. However, that would require us to build our own default desktop from
scratch as well. I don't think we have the resources to do that right now.
Even Xubuntu hasn't tried that and they have more people... and more
problems with trying to keep their ISO < 700Mb.

www.OvenWerks.net