Ubuntu changes get worse: Now Digital Rights Management is under discussion

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Fri Mar 8 22:23:04 UTC 2013

The existing non-free kernel blobs do not allow the RIAA and MPAA to access
someone's machine. Firmware blobs are often (but not always) very low level code.

There is so much hardware that doesn't work without low level blobs that distros that
exclude them are specialty items, but I have yet to hear of a low level firmware blob
being exploited by the MPAA, RIAA, FBI et all to get into a machine and read a file
system remotely. I would not knowingly allow a keyboard driver binary blob or a wireless
keyboard in my machines for obvious reasons. I worry less about network binary blobs
since I always treat all online connections as untrustworthy anyway.

If Ubuntu limits DRM support to a Gstreamer module, that's easy enough to remove, even
if all of gstreamer were foolishly compiled to depends on it,. At worst you would rebuild
gstreamer without it. I doubt Hollywood would ever trust it, anymore than I would trust
sending a stream to my opponents with only userspace protection against an unwanted
copy being made and turning up in some courtroom later.

For Hollywood to bite, here's what I think they would need. They'd need that gstreamer module,
and like in Windows it would unload if any non-DRM media app loaded. They would then need
a special kernel to lock down the decrypted video and audio data. To do this they would have to
use an FreeBSD kernel, not a Linux kernel, as a boot-time option to "support premium content."

That, in turn, would require the work of either porting Mesa KMS drivers to BSD, or the BSD
kernel to Mesa KMS drivers. Android drivers/MIr/BSD or Andoid kernel might work also for
that purpose. At that point, you have a distro quite far removed from the Ubuntu we've all used
for so long, with radical differences between DRM and non-DRM modes. Will ubuntu commit
to maintaining both modes?