New XFCE apps

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Tue Mar 5 05:29:32 UTC 2013

Saves across unplugging/hotplugging too. Only requirement is this:

Same monitors plugged into same jacks each time, on same make
of video card. If you reverse which one is on VGA and which one is
on DVI (analog by adaptor) you are back to superimposed. Same for
switching from ATI to Nvidia(nouveau) or back.

The only reason I don't hotplug is that it's a nuisance to do so with
my hardware installation layout. Booting with only one keeps
Plymouth from flickering as the user desktop comes up (autologin
after booting an encrypted OS).

You could test this on any usable OS with gnome-shell or Cinnamon, which
both have this tool. Cinnamon simply uses a port of gnome-shell's panel applet,
which calls the gnome-control-center xrandr tool. I think there is an Ubuntu
gnome-shell remix by now, there is a Mint/Cinnamon live disk, and Fedora
ships with gnome-shell. Grab whatever is convenient, try it with your hardware.

It would be good to find out if this is hardware specific before anyone commits
to anything.