About DE metas

Kaj Ailomaa zequence at mousike.me
Tue Jun 25 05:17:09 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013, at 03:09 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Mon, June 24, 2013 2:16 pm, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:
> > I've been terribly busy lately, so haven't yet had the chance to do
> > anything about DE metas. Either at the end of this week or the next,
> > I'll have the time to start working on them.
> >
> > What we need is simply to decide how we enable the metas, and then do
> > it.
> >
> > At this point, I'm suspecting we need a desktop meta and a default
> > settings package for each DE.
>
> I was thinking we could just have one settings package, but I think we
> would end up with ghost sessions (sessions called by the other DEs that
> don't work). What would work though, is to combine the two... a meta with
> settings or settings with lots of depends. (both are the same thing
> looked
> at from a different POV policy may make one ok and the other not?) Or the
> settings could all be in one file with the one file that creates the
> session in the meta. That way all the artwork/audio settings/tweaks/etc
> could be in one package as one maintenance problem. I am just thinking
> that having a number of settings packages could be confusing.

All the metas are created by the same meta package source, so you can't
really put them apart like that.

Nothing should be duplicated of course. And anything should be
co-installable. The -settings for each DE doesn't need to contain much.
We need a session for each DE. And we can't have all sessions in one
package.

This might mean we need to separate anything non DE specific in the
existing -settings package and put that in a separate package.