Video players

edmund edmundzed at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 09:34:16 UTC 2013

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 01:21:19 +0200
Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de> wrote:

> Am 04.06.2013 02:43, schrieb Len Ovens:
> >
> > On Mon, June 3, 2013 8:02 am, edmund wrote:
> >
> >> What are you calling "uncommon" sample rates? Ubuntu Studio is for
> >> multi media and in my case High res audio. Here we use 96 kHz and
> >> 192 kHz sample rates.
> Of course I have recorded in these samplerates also and in very few
> cases it really makes a difference. Most notably to me was, that Alsa
> Modular Synths sounds quite different at 96KHz.
>
> >> VLC player,
>
> Is made to play the audio, that is relevant out there, where people
> listen to music that is mixed and mastered and that is: 48KHz Video,
> 44.1KHz Audio and that is it.
>
> > seems to play these formats too but it doesn't!
> >> When I play a 80 kHz sine it is audible
>
> audible, you say hmmm....
>
> But maybe here we misunderstand: you mean, a, say: 1KHz sine with
> 80KHz samplerate right?

No I mean playing a 80 kHz sine (with a 192kHz sample rate)
I made a number of sines with audacity and played them with VLC among
other players, VLC  produces ghost sounds with sine waves above a
certain frequency.

So paying music with VLC in that format makes you hear things you never
heard before, great! Pity that the difference is fake and distortion
rather then more music information.

r a player, that is made to play
> distributed audio....
>
> > as - something very different.
> >> It is far below 20 kHz and clearly audible on 10 Euro loudspeakers,
> >> so it is definitely not 80 kHz.
> >> I would say ditch it or use it for things that doesn't matter but
> >> not for playing high res or quality audio.
>
> Quality audio is 16/44.1 CDDA, carefully mastered and dithered from
> recordings, that may or may not be recorded at higher rates.

Whether it is required or not to use higher sample rates for "perfect"
audio reproduction is another discussion. But at the moment there is no
such thing as a perfect audio system. So claims as 44.1 kHz or MP3 is
enough holds no water.

> I, BTW, have ditched the 96KHz experiments and use 48KHz with all
> great results and 9 out of 10 professional Studios do the same.

The dutch concert hall records in SACD format....

> >> Oh and yes it does so under windows too.
> >
> > Whatever rate you use, the input and the output of any of the audio
> > interfaces people have tested has been 20-20000Hz.
>
> I experienced, that it does make a difference, when a lowpass at 20KHz
> is applied but 48KHz deliver 24KHz and anything beyond that is indeed
> irrelevant.
>
> Distortion and noise have a real impact when HiFi is concerned,
> frequencies, that are beyond the double of human hearing do not.

Well it is no so simple to determine what the human hearing is
capable of in the first place and show me the first audio set on
which I cannot hear the difference between a real cymbal and a cymbal
played on that audio set.

Edmund