Video players

edmund edmundzed at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 15:02:03 UTC 2013

On Mon, 03 Jun 2013 15:45:29 +0200
Hartmut Noack <zettberlin at linuxuse.de> wrote:

> Am 03.06.2013 13:22, schrieb edmund:
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 2013 12:09:38 +0200
> > ttoine <ttoine at ttoine.net> wrote:
> >
> > I am strongly agaist it.
> > VLC uses closed/hidden codecs not vailable for other programs and
> > therefore alone it should not be used at all.
>
> What would that be? Cannot find any blobs in the source-download.

Disclaimer : I come from BeOS ( Be Operating System ) and that was
good as can be. Each and every program installed that added any codec
was immediately available for every other program.
Until VLC fucked it up, it could play one or two other additional codecs
but this was not in any way usable for any other program.
So I guess that VLC policy is no different under Linux Windows or any
other OS.

> > In addtion to that it fucks up the sample rate on a regular basis if
> > one wants to use music with other then the standard sample rate.
>
> Really? Never noticed that at least not for rates such as 48KHz or
> 32KHz. Anyway it plays anything the way it is played at anyones
> computer, so it can serve as something like a reference. To use
> uncommon samplerates I would use Software like MHWaveedit. Having
> uncommon samplerates in end-user formats like OGG or MP3 makes no
> sense anyway....

What are you calling "uncommon" sample rates? Ubuntu Studio is for
multi media and in my case High res audio. Here we use 96 kHz and 192
kHz sample rates.
VLC player, seems to play these formats too but it doesn't!
When I play a 80 kHz sine it is audible as - something very different.
It is far below 20 kHz and clearly audible on 10 Euro loudspeakers,
so it is definitely not 80 kHz.
I would say ditch it or use it for things that doesn't matter but not
for playing high res or quality audio.
Oh and yes it does so under windows too.

Edmund