Disabling pulseaudio

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Jul 29 14:06:49 UTC 2013

On Sun, July 28, 2013 10:34 pm, Jarno Suni wrote:
> 2013/7/29 Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net>
>

>> Interesting... I did some testing. Turning pulse off in the session
>> start
>> up does not keep it from starting. Second, The pulse configuration does
>> not stay where it is put. Plugging in headphones takes a HW device that
>> is
>> turned off turns it on in pulse (I think this is a bug). Anything at all
>> that tries to communicate with pulse using dbus starts pulse even if it
>> is
>> turned off. While pulse has a device turned off, you are right the alsa
>> mixer works as intended.
>>

> So did you do the "autospawn = no" trick told in the original post?

Autospawn = no would be ineffective. dbus gets in the way. For example if
you plug in a new USB interface or even plug headphones in, ubuntu is set
up to tell pulse via dbus of these changes so that pulse can change the
levels correctly. Dbus will autostart any application it is trying to talk
to if it is not running. The only way to keep pulse from starting is to
remove the x bit from the file name. I will try it anyway just to be sure,
pulse would have to look at who was starting it and decide not to start if
it's parent was dbus. That doesn't make sense as dbus is the normal way of
starting pulse. A device profile that tells pulse to do software levels
only (as it does with jack or other multi-track cards like the ice1712)
would probably work better.

www.OvenWerks.net