OT: Disabling pulseaudio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Jul 17 12:54:02 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-07-17 at 13:48 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> Lennart stopped working on PulseAudio more  than three years ago.

I didn't know that, since I don't care about pulseaudio. It's a pity
that Linux still is as that weak for professional usage. I'm using Linux
only and I only one time had a working DAW. I spend much money in the
last years, but since I own a RME card, I couldn't produce a single
song. It would be nice, if there would be more manpower for developing
one sound server, drivers etc., then having many projects that will be
dropped soon or later.

If I would have the money, I would throw away my Linux computer and
repair my old analog equipment or get new analog equipment + what's
missing for my Atari ST.

Strange enough that my card is reported as working, but regarding to the
typical hostilities even a request for a hdspmixer file that should work
is ignored.

I noticed those hostilities not only against me, but noticed that there
often are hostilities between people working on different projects, e.g.
ALSA folks vs pulseaudio folks.

It's a shame that the community is that anti-social that often.

Remember all the systemd flame wars :(. On the one hand very smart, that
Ubuntu decided to make it's own thing, upstart, on the other hand it's
another project ignoring the idea of a big community, lot's of
compatibility is gone. Writing a script to handle audio sessions
nowadays means to write wrappers or to include "case $distribution in"
to handle the different distribution.

2 Cents,
Ralf