Default Sample rate for Pulse Audio/Jack etc.

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Jan 10 04:07:53 UTC 2013

On 01/10/2013 01:13 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Tue, January 8, 2013 6:46 am, David Henningsson wrote:
>

>> As for multiple streams in parallel, that's something PulseAudio does
>> not attempt to detect, but you have to set PA up for this manually.
>
> Somehow I don't think ALSA supports different ports on the same HD device
> having different rates/bitdepth.

Correct; that's the standard behaviour for the HDA driver today. What I
mean is that if the internal mic is only working at a specific sample
rate, that should be enough to blacklist all other sample rates for
capture from that device, especially if we're only talking about 44.1
and 48 kHz here.

> The way it should support it is to call
> them different subdevices at least, but best would be different devices.
> Then Pulse would just work.

Not entirely - Pulse does not probe all devices and subdevices by
default. But I've had the idea of adding devices/subdevices too.

> Quite honestly, The ALSA devs have done a great job.
> They do it volunteer.

Agreed, although the one who probably does the most work is Takashi
Iwai, who works for SUSE and gets paid for maintaining ALSA. And yes, he
does a great job.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic