Default Sample rate for Pulse Audio/Jack etc.

ttoine ttoine at ttoine.net
Mon Jan 7 07:38:53 UTC 2013

Len,

48khz is good for audio production, recording, etc... But think that most
of what we are listening, from audio cd to mp3, ogg, etc... are stored in
44.1kjz files. I often listen to 44.1khz music (pulse audio apps) while
having a jack session at 48khz or 96khz. It needs a lot more CPU than if
jack is in 44.1khz.

Today, the industry standards are 48khz and 96khz for music and films. Some
people will record at 292khz for oversampling, in order to play very slow
samples without problems. But think about the weight of files, the cpu
needed to handle them, and the cpu to handle low latency effects. It is not
time to set 96khz as default. And a lot of sound cards can just not run at
that rate.

The question is : are user of Ubuntu Studio using it only for multimedia
production, on brand new pc ? Or are they using it for common use too, and
how powerfull are their pc ?

Maybe we can let 44.1khz for Pulse Audio because most of what we are
listening to are this way. And when someone will work on an audio project,
then he/she will choose the good rate when starting jack. That said, Pulse
Audio is able to connect to jack very easily, no matter the rate.

Toine

Antoine THOMAS
Tél: 0663137906