Upload needs charging?

lukefromdc at hushmail.com lukefromdc at hushmail.com
Mon Apr 1 16:36:46 UTC 2013

I seriously hope this is a joke-and also that the joke does not indicate a new mindset
taking root at Canonical. If it comes from Canonical itselt, even as a joke, that's scary.
If it comes from the community, Canonical should consider it a warning.

If the owner of a factory posted an April 1 poster about having to pay to clock in, he
would risk triggering a strike for real. If the union did this, management would be
severely insulted, possibly enough to adversely effect the next round of contract
negotiations. You DO see this-for real-in the corporate taxi, music, and strip club
(only those with female dancers) industries, and it is deeply resented.

The whole way FOSS software is written, tested, and distributed is supposed to be
in direct competition with that traditional capitalist model. Thus, this is comparable
to a "door charge" poster showing up at a food co-op or a communty garden, albet
one that has found a major buyer. It's only funny as a critique of upsteam ubuntu's
cell phone oriented direction, and still may generate more heat than light.

On  the other hand, as a cell phone OS, upsteam ubuntu would still be a hell of a lot more
trustworty that Android or especially iOS, as long as you installed it yourself. The standard
here is like comparing Ubuntu on the desktop, not to Debian, but to Windows-with the
Windows install having been modified by a probation officer.

installation by the vendor doesn't make a safe device, though: I presume any OS
installed by any vendor to contain vendor-installed spyware, especially when a telecom
is the vendor. it would be quite trivial, for instance, to write a version of "carrier IQ" with
innocuous-sounding filenames and package name, and install it into Ubuntu, then use
that OS image in the ARM phones one was selling.

Even if a vendor sold a machine with what was said to be a clone of my own desktop
on it, I would still wipe the disk and replace the OS, as it woud be untrusted aftet
passing through their hands.