upgrades 12.04 -> 12.10

Janne Jokitalo astraljava at kapsi.fi
Wed Oct 17 06:24:28 UTC 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 08:49:39PM -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> What do we want to do with this? (bug #1066401 for those who care) The
> upgrade does what it should in effect, but the end result is not the same
> as a fresh install. The big difference is that the photography meta is
> only half there and the publishing meta is not there at all. We can SRU
> these two metas into Desktop till after next LTS and that would fix that.
> It would also install more software into the user machine they may not
> need/want.

I'm a little on the fence on this matter myself. Basically, I'd like upgrading
to add as little as possible, to secure as problem-free procedure as possible.
While this would mean the user might be unaware of certain additions to the new
release, I'm guessing they might still prefer the functionality of their system.

Besides, aren't Release Notes for informing of changes and new features in a
release? :)

> We can accept the install as is (so long as the machine runs right with
> what SW it does have) and include an install note that allows the user to
> install those metas if they choose. We could go back to only recommending
> a fresh install.

I'm supposing that's the recommendation that's always been there.

--
Jaska (astraljava on freenode.net)