upgrades 12.04 -> 12.10

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Oct 17 04:26:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-10-16 at 20:49 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> Comments?

Precise Pangolin, release date this year, supported until 2017-04
Quantal Quetzal,  release date this year, supported until 2014-04

We've got outdated wikis, there are always some superfluous issues, so
IMO the hasty release model should be reconsidered. I don't notice
satisfying support for the software I'm using on Precise Pangolin.

Recommend to stay with the LTS or to do a new install. A "normal"
release is able to aim at getting upgraded to the next release, while a
LTS has got another priority.

Ubuntu is halfway between a rolling release and something outdated as
Debian is. That upgrading from a LTS to the hasty standard releases
could cause issues doesn't surprise me.

Regards,
Ralf