Quantal RC is missing menu 'System -> Administration ->Additional Drivers'

ttoine ttoine at ttoine.net
Mon Oct 15 18:04:47 UTC 2012

2012/10/15 Mike Holstein <mikeh789 at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 12:57 -0400, Mike Holstein wrote:
>> > that documentation is technically for a different operating system. we
>> > wont be able to use the main ubuntu docs like we have in the past. the
>> > loose plan is to help xubuntu with documentation, and link to (or
>> > steal/borrow) relevant documentation when possible. you can create a
>> > launchpad account and edit wikis as needed, though i wouldnt edit the
>> > main ubuntu wiki's to fit our needs. we have our own, and it gets
>> > trickier to maintain the stuff that is not really ubuntustudio
>> > specific, or for stuff that some of our main team members dont have
>> > the hardware to test/report. any help anyone can give in helping with
>> > even just documentation is appreciated. thanks
>>
>> Ok, FWIW at the moment "Additional Drivers" doesn't work for Quantal,
>> I've forgotten to mention that I run the update option of jockey-text,
>> before I run # jockey-text -l.
>

> you dont need the jockey, you can just install the driver manually.
> sometimes i try different kernels... the realtime ones used to need to be
> patched for some proprietary driver support... if it were me, as some point
> i might just install vanilla ubuntu, and use the generic kernel it comes
> with and at least try setting it up there as a troubleshooting step...
>>

>> Regards,
>> Ralf
>>

>> --

> MH
>
> mikeholstein.info

Most of the time, the -lowlatency kernell will work with nvidia and
amd/ati restricted drivers, but you need to install the associated
kernell headers. In some cases, once you updated a driver (security
update, new version, ...) you may have to re-install the -lowlatency
kernell.

Most of the time, the -rt kernell will not support restricted drivers.
So if you really need it (I mean that the -lowlatency is not enough
for you use case) it is better to run a full Intel or a full amd/ati
(chipset + cpu + gpu) so you can use the free drivers.

Toine