Quantal 12.10 Ubuntustudio Final testing.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Oct 15 10:50:47 UTC 2012

On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 21:08 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
> (or if the user's panel config file is deleted)

So it's needed to delete (or better to move ;) the folder
~/.config/xfce4/panel or is it another folder or file?

OT: Btw. regarding to "delete" vs "move" a note to backups of highly
specialized Linux and upgrades etc.:

FWIW more than likely I'll switch from Ubuntu Studio Precise and
Arch Linux to Ubuntu Studio Quantal RC, because Precise and Arch ship
with issues regarding to audio work and to get the knack of it seems to
be to time consuming for me. Since a default install of Quantal
successfully passed the MIDI jitter test, it seems to be the best choice
for my needs. It's disappointing that the LTS doesn't fit to my needs.
The acronym "LTS" IMO is incorrect regarding to audio and should be
avoided. Arch's rolling release model also has it's drawbacks. I suspect
upgrading from Precise to Quantal would ship with similar issues as a
rolling release does. This thoughts remind me that on the different
mailing lists I'm following, I often read that people don't backup their
Linux. Especially for a stable audio production machine backups IMO are
existentially. We've got all that notifications not to miss each upgrade
and tips nobody needs, but regarding to backups to really backup
specialized stable systems, there's no information. This results in
users doing no backups or doing "smart" backups, that aren't really
smart regarding to the target, to ensure the backup provides the stable
system, because many users ignore that constantly syncing backups, can't
ensure that the backup really provides the Linux that is stable. A
notification that it's possible and easy to backup a COMPLETE Linux
(without excluding "unneeded" dirs) IMO would be very helpful for many
users. A lot of people exclude dirs and sync backups, so when they
notice that they need to restore their Linux from a backup, the backup
already might be unstable too or is missing a so called "unimportant"
files. A highly specialized audio system IMO needs real backups. It's
"smart" to backup everything and to keep some "outdated" backups,
instead of syncing backup and excluding "unneeded dirs".

2 Cents,
Ralf