Thoughts on 12.10

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Oct 13 16:03:56 UTC 2012

On Sat, October 13, 2012 3:37 am, Ho Wan Chan wrote:

> For the 1st bug. Not sure it IS a bug since if you use the entire disk one
> it should select /sda1 (aka the internal drive). You should have used
> manual partitioning for installing it on second drive, and select where
> you
> want to install the bootloader.

The machine should boot after install. On a netbook it will not. Netbooks
have no floppy (does anything?) or cd/dvd drive. If there is an external
drive plugged in at all they will look for the boot stuff there, not on
sda. So having Grub on sda doesn't work at all on a netbook if there is an
external drive in place. If a user installs ubuntu on a net book on the
external drive because they do not want to touch the internal drive and
finds out that after install they can't reboot with the external drive
plugged in or not... that is a fail. why would they select anything but
whole disk? they are after all using the whole disk. Remember we often
recommend installing US to USB stick rather than using persistence.

www.OvenWerks.net