LMMS?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Oct 6 01:56:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, October 2, 2012 4:22 pm, Kaj Ailomaa wrote:

> I've had plenty of stability issues with Qtractor, while Ardour is lacking
> in midi capability.
> lmms is not as complex, but does include builtin instruments. It's perfect
> for novice users, who have little experience in audio applications, as
> well as for anyone interested in the instruments it offers.
> lmms is in fact the simplest tool to use if you quickly want to make some
> electronic music. Just drag and drop instruments, and start making music.
> So, I would argue that it does fill a workflow.--

I would like to see it tested in R for stability. Both ardour and qtractor
do crash once in a while, documetation for ardour at least, suggests
saving snapshots frequently and from what I have read on LAU, people do,
some even using things like git or similar on a second machine to keep
them. So the stability we are looking for would not be perfect, but good
enough that a novice is not going to get discouraged from using Linux to
make music at least. Stabilty with jackd being a criteria makes sense as
that is still the only way to use a firewire device... on the other hand
maybe firewire audio is already past the novice stage. (the number of
novices that start by buying the hardware and then trying is still quite
high though... I did)

Quite honestly this is a blind side for me. All my recording has used
external audio. My very minor keyboard playing ability is quite rusty :)
but would in any case be limited to pads of some sort which qtractor is
more than adequate for (for that matter my old QX7 would probably lock to
jack ok as well) anything I am likely to use.

Anyway, if it is stable enough and others feel it fills a workflow... fine
by me. I am willing to test it... but may need some direction to do so.

www.OvenWerks.net