Plymouth text version

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 00:12:22 UTC 2012

Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, November 12, 2012 10:28 am, lukefromdc at hushmail.com wrote:
> Interesting. I was not aware plymouth started so late on installs. I was
> under the assumption it still started in initramfs.
> >
> > In short, there are two cases where plymouth actually works right: live
> > installers and machines with cryptsetup installed, with or without any
> > encrypted partitions.
>
> I don't know if we want to install cryptsetup by default just to get
> plymouth to work. -settings may be able to set this up though... or maybe
> -look should  do that?

    Although it will look better (and in cases where the user needs to
interact prior to x-display-manager launching will work better), choosing
to force plymouth on in cases where no interaction is expected will slow
the boot process, although not by terribly much.  In some extreme cases,
it may also enlarge the initramfs larger than can be stored properly, but
none of our users installing from images should encounter this issue.

    In the case this is desired, the solution is to ship the appropriate
configuration in /usr/share/initramfs-tools/conf-hooks.d/, but given the
nature of initramfs generation and regeneration, it would be better to
either set this or not, rather than have some configuration option: there
are too many other packages that could conceivably have a requirement for
early-user-interaction that could turn it on for user-visible settings to
respond as expected to changes by the user.

--
Emmet HIKORY