Fwd: Re: Presentation + A debian-based for audio creation and production, stage technics and video blend (or "the future of TangoStudio")

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Nov 12 16:01:39 UTC 2012

On Mon, November 12, 2012 2:46 am, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> Ho Wan Chan wrote:
>> Hmm I saw in the Debian multimedia mailing list today that some guy
>> wants
>> to build their own Debian "blend" on multimedia. Do hope that doesn't
>> affect us too much.
>
>     It is likely to be a great help: more folk helping to maintain the
> software in Debian Multimedia means fewer bugs for users.  While it
> will create yet another ISO that folk might install, since we'll have
> almos the same packages, users will more readily be able to share
> experiences and identify/address specific issues common to both.

That is my take as well, more development will only help US.

>     That said, there is likely great value in our reaching out to
> the TangoStudio folk, and ensuring that there is some separation of
> the intended audience or the specific areas of work: it would be
> unfortunate for this opportunity for collaboration to end up being
> competition over who has the better wallpaper.

I can't see (after reading the original post) the two ditros (and I use
that term lightly) ever being the same or hitting the same audience. The
person talking seemed to have a very narrow vision of what they wanted
(one workflow). The ubuntu studio vision is actually very broad. It tries
to do lots of things well.

www.OvenWerks.net